View Single Post
Old September 8, 2006, 03:03 PM   #6
cdoc42

It is my understanding that the cannelure on rifle bulets is not designed to represent the spot to which the bullet should be seated. It is where it has the core locked to control expansion. Handgun bullets, different story.

I have seen Hornady change the location of the cannelure on 175gr .284 rifle bullets which I suspect was to improve bullet terminal performance. This would obviously change seating depth if one used the cannelure as a marker.

Re: Barnes, I found the ogive differed greatly in position on their bullets in the same box, same lot number. That, I gathered, explained their recommendation not to seat the bullets near the rifling because the OAL would differ, seating some unexpectedly into the rifling. If that IS the reason I don't understand why they just don't say it - explaining it as an expectation in manufacturing all copper bullets. On the other hand, if loading them away from the rifling improves accuracy, what's the point of seating close to the rifling with other bullets.......??

Page generated in 0.02850 seconds with 8 queries