View Single Post
Old January 3, 2010, 09:32 PM   #16
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Seems to me who put the bullet in the brass case is irrelivent.
One situation where it could make a difference is if forensics tries to replicate the scenario to verify your story. Ideally they would use ammunition identical to what you were using in the incident. If they have to use a commercial substitute it may not provide results consistent with what your handloads did. That would make your story look like a fabrication.

I recall reading one incident where a man committed suicide using his handloads but his wife/GF was charged with murder because the powder stippling that should have been present based on the results of experimentation with commercial ammunition was absent. That made the story told by the wife/GF implausible as far as the forensics expert was concerned.

YES, if the case is clear cut in favor of self-defense, the use of handloads will never come up. It's in the situations where there is an element of uncertainty that handloads might tip the scales against you.
Quote:
I am extremely confident in my reloaded ammo since I can personally verify things like flashole presence, powder charge, amount of crimp, etc. I don't know how the factories verify these things, but I can tell you I don't trust their methods as well as verifying with my own eyes.
I think I can prevail upon Double Naught Spy to allow you to use your reloads in the IIISHOT1000 scheduled for this spring. It's really meant to test the reliability of semi-auto handguns, but I suppose it could test the reliability of the ammunition used in a semi-auto handgun just as well.

To date, no one shooting reloads has even come close to finishing the match with no malfunctions. Every single competitor that has finished malfunction free (or close to it--say less than 10 malfunctions out of 1000) has been using factory ammunition.

Interested?

Page generated in 0.02141 seconds with 8 queries