View Single Post
Old January 29, 2013, 03:51 PM   #25
Skans

Quote:
Safety? I suppose there would be an added level of safety with a DA/SA w/ manual safety. But I figure the 1911 style safety should be enough.

In the end I think it comes down to personal preference. SAO or DA/SA. Did you learn using a DA/SA and own mostly DA/SA pistols/revolvers? Or SAO.

As a competitive shooter do you prefer SAO triggers? Plus, I think "tactically" not having a heavy first pull would serve some one better. Having a consistent first and second...

I was just curious to know what new SAO pistols were on the market that I didn't already know about.

Love the tried and true 1911 pistol design. Chambered in 45 acp or 9mm. Can't go wrong IMHO. What can you say about a design that's been round for over 100 years and still popular.
They all have their place. I prefer SA/DA with a decocker for home defense, self defense, even in a small pocket 9mm, but that's impossible to find. In fact the only thing I know of that comes close is my Detonics Pocket 9mm, but I haven't even tested that one out yet, and it's too heavy for pocket carry.

Really a DAO is good enough for self-defense away from the homestead. However, I do prefer a full-sized 9mm DA/SA for home defense. Of course, .45acp and .40 would work well too - I just tend to like 9mm's I guess.

Actually, I would be ok with a SAO for home defense - I have a kid (she's well schooled on gun etiquette and safety), so I'd keep the safety on and the hammer down, but have a round in the chamber. I'm sure there are plenty of people who will tell me "DON'T DO THAT" - well, everyone has what works for them, and this is acceptable for me.

Page generated in 0.02373 seconds with 8 queries