View Single Post
Old August 14, 2014, 08:23 AM   #125
jtmckinney

I grew up with a Ruger Standard 22lr as the home protection firearm. This same pistol passed to me from my father and served as the only firearm in a home protection role for many years. I didn't become interested in center fire pistols until around 2008 when I realized that if I had to use it in self or home defense it would probably be confisgated and I may loose it forever.

2008 was also around the time I became interested in protecting the Second Ammendment and reading gun forums including this one. I read all the caliber wars, shot several different calibers including the most commented ones here and when I decided on 40SW it was because that seemed to be the right choice for me. I am a big heavy built man and recoil tollerant. 9mm and 45ACP were the others that got the most consideration and of these two the 45would probably have got the nod. It could been have revolver calibers but I hadn't discovered how much I love revolvers yet, something I have since corrected.

Again 40SW was the right choice for me at the time I made it. If I was a smaller man that had trouble controlling the 40 I would probably have chosen 9mm.

To answer the OP my history with this debate doesn't go back quite 10 years but I still feel the same way as I did 6 years ago when I first considered the 40SW.
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedoms because that is according to my principles. Frank Herbert "Children of Dune"

Page generated in 0.04506 seconds with 8 queries