View Single Post
Old November 10, 2011, 12:33 PM   #10
serf 'rett

Even growing up around guns doesn't mean one's brain is always engaged. Dad was a hunter and had tried to teach us basics; however, some things hadn’t yet stuck in my pre-gun owning eight year old brain. Twelve year old neighbor kid had a pellet rifle, which he was showing off and showed us it had a safety so it wouldn’t fire when the trigger was pulled. Short story is he laid it on a table while he went to set up targets, almost without thinking, I pulled the trigger and shot my brother in the hand (pellet still there). Natural instinct is to pull trigger.

Fast forward to 16 year old younger brother showing friend dad’s 222 mag, worked bolt action, laid the rifle on the bed, friend pulled trigger and shot through wall destroying three encyclopedias in next room. Natural instinct is to pull trigger.

Fast forward to three years ago when non-gun wife passed through as I was reading the new pistol owners manual, spotted the pistol, asked to see it, and when I handed it to her, she pulled the trigger within seconds. Natural instinct is to pull trigger.

I can understand how the tragic OP event happened. And have tried to take precautions this will not occur in my home.

Page generated in 0.02416 seconds with 8 queries