View Single Post
Old October 4, 2011, 10:53 PM   #5
Sevens

I would certainly choose the Lee Classic Turret over the regular Lee Turret. My main press is a Lee Classic Cast single stage. There is no harm or pitfall in buying a quality single stage press such as the Classic Cast because no matter how your future unfolds in handloading, you'll still find many uses for it, especially if you venture in to bottle neck rifle handloading, where it's not really about production and much more about the attention to detail.

I finally got to a point where I need a LOT more ammo than I could churn out single stage without making the work monotonous, so I picked up a used Lee Pro 1000 and then put under a hundred bucks in to caliber changes and now I use it to process almost all my handgun brass.

In .380, 9mm, .40, 10mm, .38, .357, .327 Federal and .45, I use the Pro 1000 to size, prime and flare all my brass and it rockets through it like nobody's business with no problems whatsoever.

I keep a nice supply of prepped brass in my calibers... and then when I decide that it's time to make some ammo, I fish out some prepped brass and I charge them just as I always have, one piece at a time with my Lyman 55 and I seat bullets one at a time on my Classic Cast.

I call my method "semi-progressive" and I get a production rate that makes me happy and the quality of my ammo is just as top notch as it's always been. I don't have any fears, EVER, about my powder charge because I see a full tray of 50 of them before even one bullet gets placed over any of them.

IMO, much better than a turret press trying to mimic a progressive. It's precisely what I envisioned a couple of years ago... actually works just as well as I had hoped that it would.

Page generated in 0.02454 seconds with 8 queries