View Single Post
Old May 8, 2001, 01:03 PM   #7
Keith Rogan

Well, my optimism may be misplaced but I don't think the country has gone as bad as all that.
Remember that blue and red map of Republican and Democratic voters in the last election? And don't forget that we have two more states wavering into the CCW block - the heartland is still good despite what's happening on the left and least coasts.
The last 8 years of corruption have set the forces of darkness back by a dozen years and people are re-thinking those liberal notions that they've been force-fed.

Despite what you'd think, this state of Alaska is crawling with liberals - we've got a liberal governor for cripes sakes! And yet every attempt to inject emotional handwringing into game management has been throughly defeated.

And you have to realize that SOMETIMES we do have to suspend hunting of species in trouble. Somebody mentioned black bears in Louisiana - well, some years ago I lived in that state and in all my hunting I never saw a black bear, a black bear track, or even heard a first person story of a black bear being seen. So, why not cut hunting for a few years until more bears are available? Having lots of bears is a good thing (in my opinion).

I also lived in North Florida for a few years (ex-Coast Guard - I've lived damned near everywhere and have the ex-wives to prove it!) and I never saw any sign of a bear in that area - same story as above.

Fall before last I went bear hunting on Prince Of Whales Island, Alaska (we don't have blackies in my part of the state), and it is simply AMAZING how many black bears a piece of real estate can support! If I lived back in Florida or Louisiana I would want that sort of quality hunting to be available - even if it meant a drawing where I could only hunt every few years.
And before somebody says Alaska is "different" cuz there ain't no people - I'll tell you that you're wrong. P.O.W. Island is densely populated (by Alaska standards), with little villages and towns all over the place.

Quality hunting sometimes means you have to cut bag limits or even suspend hunting for periods - but I'd rather have a drawing and hunt once every five years in a target-rich environment than hunt all the time in an empty one.

Page generated in 0.02771 seconds with 8 queries