View Single Post
Old January 16, 2008, 08:11 PM   #23
AK103K

Quote:
It goes something like this: "It's no point buying good knives, because my job/hunting is abusive. The blades on these knives go dull faster than a good knife, so it does no good to sharpen them (or I do not know how to sharpen.) Since I need to cut material, I use serrated blades. They work when abused. Why abuse a good, well cared for knife, so I buy a cheap knife..."
Abuse is abuse, and I readily admit, I abuse my work knives, I dont have a choice, I need something that will cut anything I need cut, and its not going to be pretty while its going on. If you want to send me a $100 Spyderco, or $400 Microtec to use for work, I'll be happy to send you my address.

While I do usually have a couple "cheap" knives on me at work, I also have a higher end knife along too. Its basically there for a specific use and doesnt get used in day to day chores. Its always razor sharp and ready to go if needed.

Many, or actually most knives tend to often be job specific tools. A fancy $200 cooking knife isnt going to do well in my daily envioronment any more than my $25 Boker is going to prepare your meal.

I also think you need to look at some of this in terms of time and worth. I can spend time putting or touching up a nice edge on a work knife, or I can use a disposable blade razor knife (those new "serrated" blades are the scheiße too I might add ) for things that rob your edge quickly and be pretty much instantly "resharpened" with a flip of a lever. For me, I'd be sharpening my knives every other day or so, instead of once a week, or every other week. My free time these days to do so is limited, and while I do like doing it, I dont like it that much. Its a $6 knife too, so when it gets dropped into 2' of soupy mud, like mine did today, its not such a terrible thing, other than loosing something I needed "right now". My $125 Spyderco would have been a little bit harder to swallow.

Quote:
Even without that just chopping a few cases of lettuce on a plastic cutting board is more use than most people put on a knife in a month.
This brings up a good point too. Most of the knives I see posted in pics across the various boards, usually look "pristine" or close to it, and usually show little wear or use. Use to some, seems to be very different to others.

Page generated in 0.02671 seconds with 8 queries