View Single Post
Old October 16, 2005, 06:10 PM   #34
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
looked up fast draw on google today, and got kind of unsettled. i was just looking for tips on how to get a sixgun out of a holster fast, but found out that to be "competitive" you have to have a three screw old model blackhawk with a shaved down lightened frame, lightened action, titanium cylinder and barrel, etc. most of the guns can't even fire live rounds without blowing up.
That got me thinking about how unrealstic a lot of these shooting games are.
Take olympic shooting, for example. They've got these long barreled single shot .22s with skeletonized stocks and psychadelic colors and optics. The pistols look like they belong in a star wars movie, with the wacky sights and the 179 degree grip angle.
Don't get me wrong; i understand the guns are like that for a reason, and if that kind of sport suits you there's nothing wrong with that. But i wish they'd just give them a marlin .30-30 or something and see if they can hit with that.
anybody agree, disagree?
I disagree. A Marlin .30-30 won't cut it in the Olympics. Aside from the caliber issue, it isn't accurate enough to be competitive at the Olympic level.

Besides, why the Americentric perspective that they need a Marlin .30-30? What are you hoping to accomplish by asking them to shoot a wild west gun of the late 1800s and early 1900s design? Why should they be limited to such a crude implement when they can do better with better gear?

I don't know what you mean about shooting games being unrealistic, especially Olympic shooting. They are 100% realistic for what they are. They make no claims about simulating combat or hunting. They are simply a form of competition to make skills. How precise can you shoot given X Olympic rules criteria. They aren't IDPA trying to simulate defensive shooting scenarios.

Whether or not guns are in colors, have skeletonized stocks or look to be out of a star wars movie is immaterial. What is guns look like is relevant to nothing. By the way, I believe Hans Solo had a modified broomhandle Mauser pistol as his personal blaster in Star Wars.

Page generated in 0.02284 seconds with 8 queries