View Single Post
Old February 5, 2013, 11:59 PM   #9
Mr. Whimsy

BTH is Boyd's Thumbhole... well I've looked at Savage's website a hundred times and never found this critical info for some reason. Very helpful!

People on this forum are great.

I get along better with shorter L.O.P. because I bundle up for deer season but also because I just find 13" more comfortable given my short arms and stocky build. Everybody's body is different, and I'm a little amazed at how many people on this forum can't wait to question me over every trivial non-standard preference or my unwillingness to accept whatever some anonymous factory designer hands me. This is real life, not boot camp. Guns are too expensive to throw choice out the window.

I'm truly sorry you can't see any reason anyone would want to do some of the things I ask about, but I like to actually feel comfortable with MY rifle. I guess my needs are not your needs.

I have never owned a thumbhole stock. I have extreme difficulty getting down into a scope on a conventional bolt action rifle unless the scope is mounted via see-thru rings and the butt is really short. This setup has some short-comings, but I have a disability and that's just the way it is. I have already had someone on another thread inform me that I need to trash 30 years of shooting success because I'm obviously not doing something right if I need this setup. Asinine.

At any rate, I tried a thumbhole stock on my brother's Encore and Voilla! - no shortened butt or high scope rings needed. I don't know if this will transfer over to the bolt action Savage, but I tend to think it will bypass many of my problems and discomfort with that platform. It'd be a shame to go without a good, accurate bolt gun in your battery, but I have for a long time deferring to levers and semi's that are simply more ergonomic. But the time has come for a good medium-range deer rifle.

Last edited by Mr. Whimsy; February 6, 2013 at 12:05 AM.

Page generated in 0.03241 seconds with 8 queries