Thread: .270 vs. .280
View Single Post
Old January 21, 2010, 01:06 PM   #11
uncyboo

You ask for pros & cons, and I'm just gonna give pros for each. I'm a .280 fan, but have nothing negative to say about the .270. It's a great cartridge.

.270 Pros -
1. Factory ammo is much more easily obtained at sporting goods and gun stores, Wally World, etc. Also typically a little less expensive. I think on-line buying makes the playing field a little more even.
2. A .270 rifle will probably resell a little quicker if you ever want to get rid of it.
3. As a buyer, there are many more .270s to choose from. If you specifically want a .280, it takes some looking.

.280 Pros -
1. A handloader's dream. A huge selection of available bullets to pick from.
2. The .280 has a very, very slight advantage ballistically with heavier bullets, but not really enough to make any practical difference. Basically numbers on paper.
3. It is a little different, good for the guy who doesn't want to follow the masses.

The .280 has very, very little over the .270. The bullet availability point will be debated that there are plenty of .270 bulltes available to suit every need. That is very true, but handloaders are typically tinkerers and tweakers by nature. My usual advice when it comes to these 2 chamberings is this....

If you don't handload go with .270 hands down. If you do handload, look at the .280, especially if you like to experiment with different projectiles.

Page generated in 0.01958 seconds with 8 queries