View Single Post
Old April 7, 2013, 12:03 PM   #3
Dan F

Kid,

Let me second Spats' wish - good luck to you, and all residents of RI. As one of the most recent victims of the delusional Blue-State hysteria, I can tell you the politics is nasty (see my post on an example from MD here ).

Even if the worst happens and the bill passes and gets signed, there are still options, though. The courts are one, of course, but they take so long and the outcome is so fraught with uncertainty I wouldn't expect anyone to pick that as the preferred method. But if I'm not mistaken, you should be able to petition a referendum for a statewide vote.

I'm not sure about RI, but currently in MD all that is required is 31,349 signatures (out of a population in excess of 5.8 million). We're organized enough here to make that pretty easily, I believe... and then it would get on the 2014 ballot, and the implementation of the law would be postponed until then at the least. Getting that extra year alone will be worth it, and we might be able to do well enough with the voter turnout (w/ the delay to let the furor diminish still more, and apathy on the anti's side, and a much more active turnout for us) to actually win.

Of course, a legislative victory IS preferable. But however it goes, never give up the fight.

Page generated in 0.02515 seconds with 8 queries