Thread: PE57/SIG AMT
View Single Post
Old December 5, 2013, 10:19 PM   #20
barnbwt

I ended up buying the kit 10mos ago, lol

I still haven't built mine yet, though I did manage to find an *original* barrel in 7.5 Swiss like God intended. I also bought a 308 repro STGW57-profile barrel from artty62 at the same I got the shell; both are of excellent quality, but 308 requires bolt face, ejector, and cam mods (at least mag mods aren't really needed). None of those things are easily replaceable so I'll keep as much original as possible for now. If I find a spare bolt head and ejector, I'll probably make a 308 conversion (which may still not run great on light 308 since the cams will be unaltered). There at least seems to be a source for some small parts on Gunbroker now, though an ejector is still 40$ (and probably worth every penny, as complicated as they are).

This kit was the finest example of machining in weapons I've seen, until I unboxed my ZB37 kit. Truly a feat of engineering the likes of which we won't soon see again. I am "warming up" by completing my much-cheaper AR70 receiver first (the receiver construction is identical to the STGW) and then the Swiss is probably next, and will start life as a 4-rounder (modded blank-firing magazines) to skirt 922r during testing and compliance part manufacture. The ZB will probably take longer /massive sarcasm/

TCB

Page generated in 0.02532 seconds with 8 queries