View Single Post
Old July 29, 2014, 10:20 AM   #25
44 AMP
Staff

If you believe much of what has been said about the .357 Sig, it was designed to replicate one .357 load's (125gr from a 4" revolver) performance in an auto pistol.

That 125grJHP .357 loading was considered to be (and probably still is) the best proven load for self defense vs. HUMANS.

The .357's other loadings, either in their current weakened state, or at the original power levels (or close) is a much different matter.

You can kill a pig with the .357 Sig, no question in my mind. But its not the best choice, nor even a really good choice. You can kill anything with anything, including the "lowly" .22RF, under just the right conditions. Carrying a handgun for backup means you are considering its use under less than just the right conditions.

While pigs and humans share a lot of things, the same ammo being optimal for both isn't one of them. For pigs, I would choose a bullet heavier than the 125grJHP (I'm partial to the 158s, and not the 180s), and the .357 Sig simply isn't up to launching these bullets at the speeds the .357 Revolver is. Not even close.

Also, the semi auto round's bullets are all nicely rounded (for feeding reliability) and until they expand, that shape is the least efficient for wounding & stopping game (or, for that matter, people).

Page generated in 0.03482 seconds with 8 queries