View Single Post
Old August 5, 2001, 08:38 PM   #8
Jody Hudson

There is a book:

Worlds Fighting Shotguns by Swearengen $40.00

and

Winchester Trench Riot Guns by Poyer $17.00

I did not find a reference to the Winchester 10 gauge fighting shotgun however.

The 'Nam era however, as has been stated, included a LOT of experimentation and non-standard ways of getting things.

I was in the Coast Guard and saw and had lots of stuff that "doesn't exist". Some that didn't exist at the time. I got several things custom made, one of a kind, for my job. Just ordered it. The maker put the price on it.

Case in point, I wanted a new computer. I had seen Star Trek but we didn't have any computer catalogs. It was 1970 and computers were not around much.

I needed a portable computer to run a certain series of calculations. So I ordered one. Hewlet Packard brought me one, and to the best of my knowledge it did not and still does not exist. It was portable allright, just as I ordered. I came in on two Sikorski Sky Crane hellicopters. It was about 14'x12'x50' and weighed several tons. HP claimed it was the first portable computer. Frankly I imagined it to be much smaller. It did the calculations fairly well (some things are always the same.

So the jist of this example is; that during 'Nam, there were some of us who just ordered what we wanted and we got it. Whether it existed or not...

Page generated in 0.02690 seconds with 8 queries