View Single Post
Old June 22, 1999, 03:51 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

CHUCKO:
I'm from the old school. I don't know if there is an optimum weight etc for any twist configuration. If there is I probably would't use it. I have always "Married" my ammo, and if I couldn't find it mfg'd I'd have my friend load different kinds to make it work.

Yes! it is tedious and sometimes expensive. But, depending upon what you are going to use the gun for, will depend upon how far you want to carry it. (The testing)

There are several other variables to be considered. If Charley has a gun with 1X10", using a 165gr bullet, Sierra Boat Tail and he is from MN, and you are from GA this may make a difference. Smoothness of the bore can make a difference too.

If you are looking for "Surgical" precision, marrying is, in my opinion, the best road to go. You could of course use the standard for that caliber and bullet, to begin with, but many times I have found trying different bullets, pwdr etc does enhance the accuracy.

The length of the bullet can also be a factor. Sometime back the Army won the Long Range rifle match with a .223, H-BAR, modified and they increased the bullet weight and length.
HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited June 22, 1999).]

Page generated in 0.03100 seconds with 8 queries