View Single Post
Old April 29, 2007, 02:55 PM   #4
Shoney

From 1960 to 1990 I cleaned all my brass by hand. When I started competetive pistol shooting, I got a tumbler.

Cleaning primer pockets, especially pistol cases, is an exercise in futility. 35 years ago, I completed a 5 year accuracy study of cleaned vs noncleaned pockets on 5 of my rifles. I no longer clean primer pockets.

Depriming then tumbling will only serve to get lots of flash holes filled with media, with lots of extra time inspecting and removing crud. There is no reason to deprime before tumbling and it is an unecessary extra step, especially if you load with a progressive.

Minor build up of burned powder residue inside the case is relatively unimportant. It only comes into play when it reduces case volume, and light tumbling with walnut usually removes enough so that it is not a significant reduction to volume.

Don’t confuse stained or discolored cases with dirty cases, as the cases are cleaned of dirt and grime after a short time in the tumbler, and are clean enough for reloading. A general rule of thumb is to use walnut to clean, and corn cob to polish. Although I have never tried the mixing of the two, Idano has suggested a 50/50 mix of corn cob and walnut. I will be trying that in the future.

I have never read an article that said primer pocket cleaning increases accuracy.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111

Page generated in 0.03509 seconds with 8 queries