View Single Post
Old July 3, 1999, 10:46 AM   #9
flatlander

cartman308: If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't spend the money on the cyro treatment. The groups your factory barrel/bedding is giving you with factory ammo is not half bad, despite what gun writers in most of the magazines who regularly shoot 1/2" groups with un-tuned rifles say. You can realistically expect better results in shrinking your groups by working up handloads to fit your individual barrel/chamber than by any other mechanical efforts, since the rifle is already shooting pretty fair groups. The exception would be the trigger; a good clean 2.5lb pull is a big help. By all means, get a good set of muffs to go with your plugs; I wear both when shooting my AR's to help prevent further hearing loss. And go right ahead and have the recoil pad installed; it could be quite an advantage in helping to cure the flinching, along with the muffs. One thing I noticed after shooting 223's a lot - when I picked up one of my bigger rifles(280Rem.-375H&H Mag.) the recoil seems a lot worse since I had conditioned myself to the recoil of the 223. If you had the opportunity to shoot a rifle of heavier recoil than your 308, it might make the 308 seem kinda tame when you next shoot it.

Page generated in 0.03158 seconds with 8 queries