View Single Post
Old August 19, 2011, 11:29 PM   #1
Darksith

Question: Gun Powder and your barrel?

My question is this.

What damages/causes wear on your barrel when thinking about shooting. Is it the gun powder causing corrosion and other things, or is it the pressure build up that puts wear and tear on your barrel, or is it simply the bullet travelling down your barrel?

I am working on a load for my 30-06 and I am relatively new to reloading (3rd year now). I have gotten to the max load for the bullet I am shooting, and have for curiosity sake gone 1 grain over max just to see if I have any troubles with it. Max load is based on pressure correct? So going over max load means you are exceeding recommended pressure, but is that a safety thing more so than a "will cause excessive wear and tear on your barrel" thing? Im not looking to push past recommended max load, Im just curious.

example
If Im loading a 150g bullet I can put more grains in my shell than when Im reloading a 180g according to my book. So is shooting a bullet that has more grains of powder going to wear out my barrel quicker than shooting a different bullet with less powder but greater pressure build up?

Page generated in 0.03097 seconds with 8 queries