View Single Post
Old July 7, 2009, 08:19 AM   #3
stargazer65

Quote:
I have noticed that so often with so many jobs, it really doesn't matter what your field of study was, all they seem to really care about is that you have a degree. I know so many people making good money with thier degrees and they are doing nothing even related to thier major, so I see a bachlor degree as a win/win.
If you pursue the degree make sure that it will get your foot in the door to what you really have a passion to do, money should be a secondary concern at first if you plan to make a career change. If there is room in the field to move up to bigger responsibility (and salary) after your foot is in the door, you may have found a good niche. Just any bachelor's degree is not a magic bullet to opening all kinds of big money jobs, but it can make your resume look better if you market yourself well. I have a BS in Psychology and that is unrelated to my job. I'm working as a mechanical engineer because I enjoy it and I make more money then if I used my psychology degree. I have extensive hands on experience in my engineering field however, and that came while I was working and completing my degree via night classes. The degree itself is not much value to me except as a fallback and to plump my resume a little.

The guidance counselor can help point you in the right direction, but you definitely should talk to someone in the CJ field to get a good feel for it. They can give you a realistic picture of what the job and the job market are like.

Page generated in 0.03041 seconds with 8 queries