View Single Post
Old June 21, 2000, 04:46 PM   #2
jthuang

Well, I have always been told that you can shoot slugs out of IC, M and F but it's advisable to shoot slugs regularly only out of IC. The tighter chokes apparently do not improve accuracy and the slugs can damage those choke tubes.

That's totally hearsay though so feel free to correct me. Must be something to it though, as all slug barrels I've seen are cylinder or IC choke.

Buckshot actually tends to pattern better with cylinder or IC choke. Tighter constriction in a conventional choke generally causes the pellets to bang against each other. This deforms the pellets and causes heck with their aerodynamics -- thus causing "flyers" in your buckshot pattern, not a good thing if you are facing a hostage situation with a buckshot loaded scattergun (not a good situation anyway, eh?).

Cylinder choke will cause less pellet deformation so the pellets will fly better. The key is to pattern your individual gun with your individual load so you know how tight (or open) your buck pattern is at typical combat ranges.

I have not heard anything stellar about Brenneke slugs, only that they are more popular in Europe than here in the Union. Foster and sabot slugs seem to be more popular here. Foster slugs are more commonly used for defense (e.g., Federal's tactical slug load) and hunting. Sabot slugs, like the BRI offering, are extremely accurate, especially out of rifled slug barrels. But the 12 bore sabot slugs are in actuality only 0.50" caliber so you have a bit lighter (and presumably less effective) slug.

The Vang Comp (http://www.vangcomp.com) system and the Patternmaster (http://www.patternmaster.com) choke tube supposedly give tighter buck patterns while retaining the ability to shoot slugs accurately. You may want to investigate these two options.

HTH,

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania

Page generated in 0.02427 seconds with 8 queries