View Single Post
Old December 7, 2000, 10:05 PM   #29
Jody Hudson

I really like OLD Cadilacs, Suburbans, Buicks, Pontiacs, Wagoneers, etc. from the 70s and before. The parts are easy to find, you can get one CHEAP with a little looking. And you can customize and paint it for a couple of thousand after you get it and when you have the money. Check the farm and industrial auctions too.

My first get out of town vehicle was an OLD telephone company truck with all the really cool drawers and bins, bumpers, lights, etc. It had a giant 6 cyl and 16.5 tires with limited slip and HUGE anti-sway bars which were on it to stabilize it when it was heavily loaded. I bought it at an auction for $100 and for another $300 (that would be $800 now) I swapped the engine for a "new/rebuilt" one -- installed.

One of my associates redid a city garbage truck (the inside was remodeled as his living quarters; he then made a very professional looking "specialty refuse" sign for the truck and parked it and drove it anywhere he wanted to as even where trucks are not allowed... garbage trucks are. He also liked the security of the thick metal sides of the truck and the hydraulic "door". He was a "little bit eccentric".

Page generated in 0.02693 seconds with 8 queries