Thread: 357mag vs. bear
View Single Post
Old June 10, 2006, 05:05 PM   #36
BLKLABMAN

Bullrock,
The .44mag is not needed for Black Bears. A person may use a .44mag, but for the extra weight, flash, bang, and expense you gain nothing. I stopped using my .44mag on Blacks years ago. The 9mm is my last choice for defense against a human, and not on my list for defense against a Blackie.
About the .357mag.
The .357mag will easily(especially 180gr LFN's) kill a Black Bear. The .357mag easily killed a sow, that charged a friend. I have hunted and killed 14 Black Bears with a 4" .357mag over the years. Friends all use the .357mag, and have taken alot more Bears than that over the years. Many very experienced bear guides prefer the .357mag.
Black Bears are a part of everday life where I live. East TN Mountains. Fish and Game, is all the time having to remove a trouble maker. Blacks are not zombies, and the .357mag is very Proven round with dealing with them.
About the story.
I am glad the guy and his family is ok, but the extra commentary made me laugh.
Thing's such as join the IDPA..... mindset.. you have to have proper mindset. and the I was taught all the right thing's in my CCW class.
He was dealing with a Black Bear not an armed intruder(s), or a horde of zombies.
Most people (especially rural living hunters or farmers) would have shot and killed the bear, called Fish and Game(they would in turn, contact the Police), and that would have been the end of it. No big deal.
In the second post he simply wated to clear up some un-truths that were being said about what happened. I and everyone else understand that.
Glad he's ok, all the extra commentary did give me a good laugh.

Last edited by BLKLABMAN; June 10, 2006 at 05:37 PM.

Page generated in 0.03158 seconds with 8 queries