View Single Post
Old August 16, 2011, 01:32 PM   #44
Tomas

I have a Weatherby Vanguard in .308. The primary bullet I use is the 180gr Winchester Fail Safe (Not CT) over 44gr of 748. I used to use Barnes XLC in the same weight, and do like them quite a bit. The Fail Safe, though, is designed to shed some (or all) of its small copper petals after 10" or so of penetration, and the core continues to bore through the animal and usually punches out the other side. I killed a black bear in 09, the bullet did not shed any petals, but penetrated 47" inches (yup, 4 FEET!) in her. I shot a nice 5x5 mule deer last year and the bullet entered at about a 30 degree downward angle, hit him in the chest while facing me, and penetrated the whole length of the rib cage and exited just in front of his off side thigh.

They were complicated and expensive to make, so WW stopped a few years ago. Luckily, I still have 300 bullets, 200 not even loaded yet.

I've had good results with the Fail Safe, but would be just as happy shooting a Core Lokt, Scirroco or SST. I just happened to hoard all the 180gr Fail Safes I could, so I shoot those. Not sure what I'm going to do with my 165gr, as I only have one box.

Sometimes, if I'm sure the forest is thick and the shot close, I'll take out my 220gr Partitions. My rifle is a 1:12, but these are exceptionally accurate from my rifle, even out to 300 yards - though the bullet drop is pretty high, even with a 200yd zero. I'm not sure they'll fly true much past that, but they are very effective on elk.

Page generated in 0.02984 seconds with 8 queries