View Single Post
Old April 9, 2013, 03:27 PM   #1
Kimio

Questions regarding classification of "Battle Rifles" turned DMR

This may sound like an odd question, but I was wondering of the term battle rifle can still be applied to firearms that are used in a Designated Marksmens role.

To add context to the question, I was wondering if the term would be applied to rifles such as the USMC' M39 EMR or the US Army's Mk14 EBR both of which are updated and accurized versions of the famous/infamous M14 rifle caliber service rifle that was issued to US troops in Vietnam, and more recently, to SOCOM and infantry units serving in the middle east.

As I understand it, a battle rifle is a firearm that is typically chambered to fire a rifle caliber round, such as the 7.62x51 NATO or the 7.62x54R cartridge and similar. The HK G3, FN FAL, and the M14 all of which were standard issue infantry rifles for a number of nations in the past. As such, the way I interpret what a battle rifle is, is a firearm that fires a rifle caliber round but is used primarily for front line conflict, while a DMR is used mainly in a supportive role, providing precise shots where the standard issue AR or a traditional bolt action rifle is inefficient.

Most DMR' however are simply accurized assault/battle rifles,G3 to G3-SG1, M14 toMk14/M39 EBR/EMR M16 to Mk 12 SPR, L85 to L86 LSW (Relieved of it's role as a SAW to take up the mantle of a DMR) respectively, among many others. What's interesting is that DMR' are not restricted to rifle caliber platforms, the Mk12 SPR which is used by SOCOM is a good example.

I'm assuming that the terms are not applicable, but I'd rather get some clarification than simply assume it as such (we all know about what happens when you simply assume), since a DMR specifies the particular role the chosen firearm is designed to fulfill (You woudn't call a Mk12 an assault rifle for example, which are usually select fire if I'm not mistaken)

So am I correct in my interpretations or have I erred in some places if not all? I've had some claim that it still applies while others have claimed it does not, I'd appreciate the help so that I can finally clear the waters so to speak on this subject.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and bearing with my long winded post.

Page generated in 0.02187 seconds with 8 queries