View Single Post
Old February 26, 2013, 08:09 PM   #39
LogicMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Holy cow, for a person so interested in semantics, I fail to see how you can claim either term that is in common usage is "fictional." No, they are very real terms.

Yes, they are "made up" terms. All terms are made up. It is the nature of language. Language is made up as well.
Yes, but there are differing types of language. There's technical terms and then terms that just come into usage by the population. The term "assault rifle" is a specific term referring to a weapon that fires an intermediate power cartridge and has automatic fire capability. The term "assault weapon" supposedly means a weapon that is specifically designed to let one kill a large number of people very quickly (how this is so is never explained of course). The term "assault weapon" doesn't deal with anything technical, it deals with the cosmetics solely of the weapon, as it was made up by the gun control people.

It's like the difference between the terms "armor-piercing ammunition" and "assault ammunition." Armor-piercing ammo is a specific type of ammunition designed, engineered, and manufactured a specific way. "Assault ammunition" is just another made up term that could mean anything.

As for me not talking to the NRA, you are right, I should. I just wanted to discuss the issue with some like-minded folks was all and here some opinions on the matter.

Page generated in 0.03326 seconds with 8 queries