Thread: Primer pockets
View Single Post
Old February 13, 2012, 09:06 AM   #1
hornetguy

Primer pockets

Funny that this is the first time I've had to consider doing this, after reloading for 40+ years, but I have a question about primer pockets.

I am reloading some of my Sellier and Bellot fired brass for the 7.62X54, which is from ammo that I bought maybe 12-13 years ago (light green box). I have reloaded some of it in the past, but have never had this problem.

I am using (for the first time) Remington 9 1/2 large rifle primers, and they don't seat quite below flush with the base of the case. There is a slight protrusion, even after I almost crush them into place. I'm not deforming the cup of the primer, but I'm using more force than normal to "seat" them. They slide in the pocket pretty well, but I'm putting more pressure on the arm at the end of the stroke, to make sure they seat as deeply as possible.
Since all of them seat to the same depth, I'm assuming that the Remington primers are slightly "taller" than the WW or the CCI.

Now for the question.. is a primer pocket reamer going to ream the pockets to the correct depth, or do I need the uniformer? I guess I don't understand the difference between a reamer and a uniformer. I know that some tools are designed to remove a military crimp, but I just want a tool that reams each pocket to a uniform size, which hopefully will be deep enough to seat the Remington primers correctly.
I'd research it here at work, but I can't access most "gun" websites.

Page generated in 0.03197 seconds with 8 queries