View Single Post
Old December 23, 2011, 08:24 PM   #53
mpd61

Oh just stop...Please?

MTT TL Said:

[I]"On nearly all military installations the civilian police force have arrest powers."[/I]

Ahhh....NO they DO NOT!!!!!!!!!

CONGRESS PASSES DoD BILL WITHOUT ARREST AUTHORITY 12/15/2011

Chuck Canterbury, National President of the Fraternal Order of Police, was disappointed that one of the organization's top legislative priorities was not in the conference report on H.R. 1540, the "National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012."

"Our provision was a victim of haste and process," Canterbury explained. "In each case where there was a provision in one version of the bill, but no corresponding provision in the other, that provision was simply removed so that the conferees could expedite the conclusion of the report. Our language appeared only in the Senate bill, and so it was removed without any real consideration by the conferees."

Statutory arrest authority for civilian law enforcement officers employed by DoD was identified as a top legislative priority of the FOP by the National Board of Trustees during the Spring 2011 meeting. This decision was later affirmed by the delegates at the FOP's Biennial Conference in Salt Lake City, Utah in August. A House bill, H.R. 324, has also been introduced.

"Civilian law enforcement officers employed by the DoD are in need of clarification with respect to the terms 'arrest' and 'apprehension'," Canterbury explained. "We helped craft language that would give the Secretary of Defense the authority to grant arrest powers to its civilian law enforcement officers and codify those powers in the statute just like the six DoD agencies whose officers already have this authority."

"It's an issue we've been working on for several years," Canterbury said. "We may not have made it over the goal line this time, but I am hopeful that we can get this change made in the Second Session."

44AMP said:

[I]"Our major urban areas have SWAT teams, which is fine, except that the Special part of Special Weapons And Tactics has now become Routine.
SWAT teams are used for nearly everything above routine traffic enforcement. Any resistance is met with overwhelming force. And that is pervading all levels of police work
"[/I]

I understand your assertion. It is NOT based in fact. SWAT is in movies and the news. It is NO WAY routine above traffic stops, or pervasive.

Last edited by mpd61; December 23, 2011 at 08:34 PM.

Page generated in 0.03657 seconds with 8 queries