View Single Post
Old April 17, 2006, 11:25 AM   #19
swampdog

+1
Quote:
Isn't hunting more than long range sniping?
I subscribed to this post when it first opened just to see what kind of responses were given.
In his first post, itgoesboom mentioned something about bears. I would hope that he is not considering taking bears at 500+ yards. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that I wouldn't do a bear like that. I wouldn't like to follow up a bear that someone wounded at 500+ yards with a 30/06 either. As far as deer go, I gave up beanfield shooting years ago. Not because I was unsuccessful but because it was too easy.
If your guide can't get you any closer than 500 yards, maybe you ought to see what other guides around the area you are hunting are doing.
I love my 30/06 and I have made some impressively long shots. Laser range finders and range cards are nice. I just choose not to hunt like that, anymore.
Just my 2 cents, not a flame by any means. It's just that the older I get, the more I seem to "hunt" more and shoot less.
Have fun whatever you do, that's the important thing. If you can drop them in their tracks at 500+, more power to you.

Page generated in 0.03815 seconds with 8 queries