View Single Post
Old March 13, 2006, 11:38 AM   #1
Brian Dukes

Shot at on the range

My dad and I were down range (IPSC match), between shooters, trying to fix a metal moving target that was having problems, and it was taking a little longer than normal. We had our backs to the starting box, when I heard PoopPoop..Poop-Poop! I turned, threw my hands in the air, and started yelling Stop! Stop! Stop! --Several spectators realized what was happening and did the same. The shooter stopped after about 4 rounds.

The range was set up with Hard cover walls in front of the starting box--about 20 feet across. We were in the deep left corner, obscured by the wall in front of the starting box, but plainly visible to anyone who looked around the side of the wall. Apparently the RO did not look around the wall before calling the range hot, and starting the next shooter. We had hearing protection in and didn't hear anything.

Now, I just came back from Iraq, so to be honest, it didn't really phase me. I think my dad was pretty shook up. The RO came out and apologized, and so did the shooter(who is not responsible for clearing the range as far as I'm concerned). Dad and I didn't say much, the range master happened to be there at the time and he talked to the RO briefly, and the match went on.

Later, after I got home, the whole deal really started to piss me off. I don't have anything personal against the guy who was RO, but I know personally how dumb mistakes can get people killed. I almost regretted not laying the guy out(would I have been wrong ?), as opposed to just shrugging it off.

I've always enjoyed the safety focus in IPSC shooting, but I feel this is a problem.
A shooter is DQ'd for a slight infraction, how should this have been handled? How is the precedence set to reinforce the responsibility of the RO?
Most importantly, what will keep this from happening again ( course design, RO training, using the A-RO/score-er to also clear the range)?
I'd appreciate any thoughts or experiences from any experienced shooters, and if I'm making too much out of a freak accident, let me know.

Thanks,
Brian

Page generated in 0.02415 seconds with 8 queries