View Single Post
Old May 10, 2013, 04:13 PM   #1
caltx01

Are There Any REAL Gunsmiths Left?

I have a Winchester 94 in .44 Magnum that was manufactured in 1971. It is one of my favorite rifles and I carry it with me to my farm regularly. Recently it has developed a problem. When I cycle the action I will occasionally have a cartridge release and go under the lifter. This causes a jam and I have to take the lever out to clear it.

I would like to get this problem fixed. Research indicates it can be one of a few things and all are repairable. So I started looking around in east Texas where I live for a good gunsmith to make this repair for me. To my dismay I have found that all the gun shops I have contacted either no longer have a gunsmith or their "smith" is only capable of placing high dollar accessories on AR rifles - not much more.

So I started asking around about reputable gunsmiths and have found again that none are interested in working on anything much more than 1911s or AR rifles.

I am willing to ship this rifle anywhere I need to in order to get it to a competent gunsmith who will repair it for me. Can anyone anywhere suggest a good gunsmith who is competent and willing to work on a Winchester 94?

Thanks very much for all advice and assistance.

Cal Barton
Tyler, Texas

Page generated in 0.10564 seconds with 8 queries