View Single Post
Old August 15, 2011, 12:46 PM   #13
Civil War Life

I am still new to reloading and I am very careful. I use a turret press, but I do one operation at a time. I deprime using a universal depriming die, then I run them through my case vibrator cleaner to clean them. I don't go for super shiny, just clean. As I take them out of the media, I inspect every case for media inside or stuck in the primer pocket. Next, I clean the primer pockets. Then resize them. If I missed any media in the primer pocket it will be poked out by the decapping pin. Once resized, I trim and deburr them. At this point they go into reloading trays. Once I am ready to load them, I use a powder dispenser to throw a powder charge which I weigh on a digital scale. I check every fifth round with a bean scale. Once the powder is weighed, I put it into the case and the case goes immediately into the bullet seating die. I don't trust myself to eyeball a tray full of cases. When the powder goes in, the bullet goes in. The loaded cases go back into a tray and the final step is to crimp them if I am using a crimp. Pistol cases are a little different. After resizing, they go through a case flaring die and back to a tray before I measure powder charges and seat bullets. I know a lot of folks put all the powder charges in before they seat the bullets and I am sure that works well for them. I just don't like the thought of having all those cases sitting there open with powder in them. I am probably this way because I started out loading 38 special and it would be easy to accidentally pick up a case with a charge in it and put in a double charge. I don't load as many rounds as some so the extra time I spend is fine with me. I enjoy reloading and don't mind being at the bench. Hope I didn't leave any steps out.

Page generated in 0.02577 seconds with 8 queries