View Single Post
Old September 1, 2013, 02:33 PM   #4
tahunua001

you got 4 pouches? lucky... both of mine only came with 1.

the brown liquid is called cosmoline. it is very similar to axel grease. it stinks, it's sticky, and it gets on everything but if you are going to store something mechanical for a long period of time it is a great way to keep wood from rotting and metal from rusting.

when it gets hot it liquifies but if it gets really hot it can crystalize so it is common practice to remove it before firing it. I usually completely disassemble the gun, boil all the small parts that will fit in a pot and while those are boiling I use good ole CLP to get it off and out of the reciever and barrel and then oil everything nice and good. I usually just remove surface cosmoline by using a rag with rubbing alcohol and then finishing with a very fine grit sandpaper then finishing with a coat of linseed oil.

congrats... just so you know you just took the first step towards a debilitating addiction. before you know it you'll be wanting a springfield, enfield, mauser, carcano and arisaka....

Page generated in 0.01980 seconds with 8 queries