View Single Post
Old November 19, 2000, 06:02 PM   #4
ModIMark0

Gewehr 98,
I know the website that it might have been on. The item was Part #72058, and was listed as 'Mount,Bayonet'. It was available from Scattergun Technologies when Roger Small owned the outfit.
They had a large selection of versions of the Remington 870 and 11-87 shotguns available, including a military styled version called the Military Model, # 90133, which had the bayonet mount and the heatshield. FYI, the heatshield/bayonet mount combo was made for an 18" barrel (with a +2 magazine extension), so in order for the bayonet mount to work on anything longer, you would have to remove the shield, which might involve some cutting.
In 1995-96, the bayonet mount sold for $95.00 at Scattergun Tech. When I called in 1999, they had said that the bayonet mount (and the Military model 870) had been discontinued (this was the time that Bill Wilson had bought out Scattergun Tech). One of the reps gave me his fax number, but I have not used it.
I imagine that the bayonet mount was a component that was subcontracted out from Scattergun Tech because when I had called Scattergun Tech about availability in mid 1996 I was told that they were out of stock at the present time, and were expecting more in. Unfortunately, I did not follow up on this.
Remington was the original manufacturer of the bayonet mount (although it had a bead instead of a blade sight) for interested law enforcement agencies, and some might have made their way out into the civilian market, but I have never seen them and guess that Remington has not offered this item in probably 15-20 years.
The bayonet mount was actually used on the U.S Marine Corps Remington 870 Mark I shotgun (NSN 1005-01-065-8989), which had a 21" barrel, +3 magazine extension, rifle sights, walnut furniture and a parkerized finish. It was part of a family of combat shotguns that Remington created in the late 60's that had the Remington 870 and the 1100 as the base for the various models that were or were planned to be available.
The Marines received around 4000 of them, and used them during the Mayaguez incident in the 70s (I have pics), and Desert Storm (for clearing trenches and bunkers as well as on ship boarding parties, also have pics) for certain. I also know of a former Marine who carried one on sentry duty at an air station in the late 70s/early 80s. It was also used by one of the main characters in the movie "The Walking Dead", a film about a Marine Recon squad in Vietnam.
I have been looking for this component (or rather 3 of them) in order to make reproductions of the Remington 870 Mk.I, Remington 7180 Mk.I (combat version of the 1100), and a custom home defense shotgun. I kick myself every time I think about how I could have gotten them if I knew that the window for them was limited at Scattergun Tech. If you want the fax number of Small, I can offer it to you if you will share the results with me. If you want, we can form a loose knit group of persons searching for this item that eludes us (I know of two other people that expressed interest in the bayonet mount).
I can also refer you to a book that has the largest amount of information i know of available on the shotgun and the specific part. It is 'The World's Fighting Shotguns', by Tom Swearengen CWO, USMC (ret.), and printed by Ironside International Publishers originally in 1978 or '79, but I think is still available from Stackpole books. He was also doing a follow-up second edition, but passed away about 6 months ago. However, someone is continuing the work on the book.
Sorry this got so wordy, but this has been the largest obstacle for me in trying to put together reproductions of these shotguns. I have never heard of of these being taken out of inventory and sold as surplus on the civilian market, so I think that making one's own is the only route to take. And it has become a bit of a quest that absorbs me now and then. Please feel free to contact me if you want to know more, though I think you have to add the number '1' in my e-mail address in my user profile after 'maolson'.

ModI Mark0

Page generated in 0.02848 seconds with 8 queries