View Single Post
Old January 23, 2013, 10:04 PM   #26
Deja vu

When I was a kid I would hear from my father about how his father (my grandfather) was a young man (preteens to early teens) during the great depression. His father killed him self when he lost his job and left my grandfather to be the man of the house.

His mother worked a few odd jobs here and there but there was not much work for a 12 year old boy. So he did what he could he took the only gun he had available (an old single shot 22) and took many deer, raccoon, possum and random birds with it. While technically it was poaching I can not fault him for doing so. His mother (my great grand mother) said that she was often worried that he would get in trouble but was always relieved when he brought home meat for the pot. She admitted to my father that one of the first things she would buy is a box of 22 when the other box started running low.

My grandfather said he was caught once by a policeman who instead of doing any thing to him gave him a ride to the officers home and gave him some more ammo and some sugar and flour.

I was not around during these times but I know they where hard. I have a hard time thinking about my kids having to hunt for there supper at the age of 12. The gun is the gun that my father, my self, my brothers and my children all learned to shoot with. I still have it and it will be passed on to my eldest son when he has his own children old enough to learn to shoot. Its a 1904 (I think) Winchester youth model.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...

Last edited by Deja vu; January 23, 2013 at 10:15 PM.

Page generated in 0.03463 seconds with 8 queries