View Single Post
Old September 4, 2011, 11:09 PM   #40
NWPilgrim

Quote:
My point is, it makes no sense to me to be so worried about such astronomically unlikely events. Doing so would make me wonder about all the events "in between", let's say motorcycle riding and getting ambushed and killed in a rock quarry. What sort of steps do I take to prepare or protect myself from THOSE events? None, probably. So why the rock quarry?
Using your argument why do you own a gun for SD, if you do at all? If you live in a decent neighborhood and mind your business the chance of you being attacked is very remote. Statistically, there is insignificant reason that you should need a gun. I have lived in a many areas, some nice some not so and have never needed to shoot my gun for SD.

You make good use of the anti-gun logic of why we should not be allowed to own guns. I prefer the Jeff Cooper mindset of being aware that a threat can happen anywhere and no one is so special they are free of danger. It may be a remote possibility, but I do not plan on letting that one in a million chance do me or my family harm.

You will probably go through your life with no problems and wonder why people think they need to be alert. Enjoy your preoccupations, but some poor sucker somewhere will suffer the consequences of adopting your mindset. It may not be you, but it could be you as easily as the next guy.

So tell me, since you criticize my mindset to be alert, even at a gravel pit when target shooting, do you have any guns handy for self defense at any time during the day? Do you ever go on alert or do you blithely wander through life not caring what goes on around you? No offense of course.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison

Page generated in 0.03293 seconds with 8 queries