View Single Post
Old January 21, 2005, 08:01 PM   #16
Oldphart

Mauser headspace

I'm glad to hear your Mauser is German made. I don't think you'll have any trouble with lug set-back, though there's always the possibility. Even if that is the problem, it can be fixed, usually by having the barrel removed, cutting one extra thread on it and reaming a new chamber. It might be neccesary to polish the lugs and re-heat-treat the receiver but that's not likely.
Of course, all this costs money and most of us shy away from laying out very much money on a Model '93. My wife has one like yours and we ended up putting a new 7X57 barrel on it. It wasn't the most economical route, but she likes the rifle, so we looked the other way about the expense.
The other replies mentioned getting a good gunsmith to look at it. That's good advice. Over the years I've learned quite a lot about Mausers, but there's still a whole lot I don't know and when it comes to setting a small bomb off six inches in front of my nose I want to know as much as possible about the gun I'm using to contain that explosion.

Page generated in 0.02141 seconds with 8 queries