View Single Post
Old October 26, 2013, 08:32 AM   #54
buckhorn_cortez

Quote:
Do you guys feel revolvers are generally more reliable out of the box? I started this thread because I have seen people who have invested their ego into their gun and won't admit to themselves that the gun is flawed.
Bought a S&W JM 625 in February. After 300 rounds, it would light strike the primers and I would intermittently get a failure to fire. Problem? The strain screw backed out on the main spring. Took it home, took off the grips, tightened the strain screw. Next week - same thing. Took it home redid the strain screw again, this time with blue Loctite. Why not Loctite the screw at the factory?

The 625 also had a bad crown from the factory, to the point the gunsmith laughed out loud at it and said, "That's the worst factory crown I've ever seen." Had him re-crown the barrel, correct the timing, chamfer the cylinders/extractors, and tweak the trigger - now it works like it should have from the factory. Great gun, love it, just wish the manufacturer cared as much about doing it "right" as I do.

Bought a S&W .460 XVR. Crown was okay, timing okay, cylinder needed chamfering and shimming; and the trigger absolutely sucked so badly that I could not measure the double action pull with a Lyman trigger gage because it maxed out the gage. Took that to the gunsmith and had him fix it. Put Loctite on the strain screw BEFORE I took it out for the first time...fool me twice on the JM 625...not on this one..!

Bought a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan, everything was okay except the trigger - had the gunsmith fix that.

As for semi-autos, I think people interpret some manufacturers instructions as being a "break-in." As an example, Les Baer says to fire 500 rounds without cleaning the gun. I'm not sure that's a "break-in," but only a recommendation on how to use the gun during the first 500 rounds. Not different than the towing limitations for the first 1,000 miles for both of my 2011 pickup trucks - limited to 1,000 pounds and 55 MPH.

If you understand what's going on with the LB 1911 and the 500 rounds - it makes sense. LB is using the "crud" that is suspended in the lubrication to lap the frame and slide together. Has nothing to do with gun reliability, but how smoothly it functions.

The letter I got with my full custom 1911 recommended much the same procedure, and the gunsmith had already fired 200 rounds through it before sending it to me - but still recommended not cleaning the gun and keeping it well lubricated for 500 rounds before cleaning.

Frankly, I find all of the Internet histrionics over having to actually shoot a gun a bit funny as how horrible is that? The first day I owned my Les Baer I shot about 1,000 rounds through it because I was having so much fun.

I shoot a minimum of 300 rounds through any gun I get the first time I take it to the range.

Never had a gun that didn't work out of the box, but the JM 625 was close with the strain screw problem.

Page generated in 0.03846 seconds with 8 queries