View Single Post
Old May 10, 2012, 01:35 AM   #6
sonick808

layers

I would at least get rid of the cheap kwikset and other cheap lock brands, and go for full accountability with abloy or bilock deadbolts. They can't be bumped/picked unless you are one of a very small number of lock experts. Copies can only be made in certain certified locations, and only if you have the wallet card that came with the lock (or contact the company and verify identity in the case of lost card, etc.)

I also recommend a product called the strikemaster ii, I use them on my external doors. It adds 6 feet of spring steel anchored with 4" wood screws along the entire length, assuring that the screws make it into structural 2x4 studs. It doesn't remove the ability to kick the door, but it slows it WAY WAY WAY down, and turns it into a ridiculous ruckus.

Alarm stickers,definitely.

Alarm, definitely.

Barking dog,definitely.
Trained guard dog, if possible.

Those magnetic cheapie alarms that stick to the door and go off when the internal reed switch loses the magnet; these are great for when you ARE home, especially if you are a heavy sleeper. Not much good for when you're absent though. If you do use these, mount them with screws and a bracket, or use plumbers putty. every other kind of glue fails, including epoxy.

I've went so far as to bar my external windows, but i'm in phoenix, we all have them. Probably not something you'd want on a nice rural house.

Cameras/DVR Definitely. I like the game camera idea also.

If not, at LEAST buy some fake cameras that look real from fry's. They buy the same housings and everything as real cameras, they just don't put any electronics in them.

Vehicles at home of course would be good. A routine that cannot be easily determined would be good.

Trying to brainstorm other stuff.... sorry so long

Last edited by sonick808; May 10, 2012 at 01:38 AM. Reason: syntax, etc.

Page generated in 0.04347 seconds with 8 queries