View Single Post
Old December 5, 2013, 03:34 PM   #10
papershotshells

My Dad has had a Taurus 85 for over 25 years and we have shot it a LOT. Probably more than any snubbie should or would ever be fired, even with some heavy +P handloads. It has been a great little gun and has served Dad and I well.

On the other hand, about 4 or 5 years ago, I bought a Taurus 85 UltraLite (alloy gun) for CCW carry and had nothing but trouble with it. It went back to Taurus twice (lifetime warranty) and was repaired each time, BUT I didn't trust it for carry after that so I sold it.

So, I guess that while Taurus makes good guns, as stated before their QC can be hit or miss.

I used to think that Taurus guns were a good deal because they were a good bit cheaper than a comparable S&W model. Now though, I feel that the price advantage has disappeared for the most part. While a NEW Taurus is still cheaper than a NEW S&W, I can buy a quality used S&W for roughly the same or cheaper than a new Taurus. I also just happen to like older Smiths, lol.

A Taurus can still be a good buy, but as others have stated, I would only buy one that I could hold in my hands first and preferably test fire. I'd never buy one sight unseen online, etc.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Papershotshells

Page generated in 0.03750 seconds with 8 queries