Thread: Desert Eagle?
View Single Post
Old February 26, 2014, 06:55 PM   #6
'88Scrat

I own a Desert Eagle Mark XIX .44 in brushed chrome and also have a .50AE barrel for it. You can't go wrong really. This is from a post I made in a thread a while ago but it still rings true:

Why: Basically because I can. I wanted one in .44 so it wouldn't cost me a mortgage everytime I went to the range but eventually decided I wanted the .50AE version as well. I have no regrets.

Practicality: Not much really, especially for me here in Kansas, short of taking down a T-Rex, knocking the tread off a tank, or shooting down a UFO. But remember I did not buy it for its practicality, I bought it because its fun; REALLY FUN! Mine is also somewhat different in that I have an Isreali made .44 but the .50AE barrel is American made ( I bought it when they shifted production to the states) and when I shoot the .50AE the combination of Isreali frame and slide with an American barrel is very cool looking.

FUN: Speaking of fun I have yet to go to ANY range and not have someone ask to shoot it. Some people are hesitant at first and others are obviously skeptical of its sheer size and power in semi-auto form. But to a person every single one of them has had a grin from ear to ear on their face after pulling the trigger. You cannot shoot it and not have fun. If you really want to add to the specticle of shooting one take one out in .50AE around 15 minutes to dark and gawk at the 6 foot fireball.

Performance: I hear from trolls all over the place from the range to other sites that Desert Eagles are nothing more than oversized paper weights, it is worth noting that most of these people have never even held one. Magnum Research's flagship firearm might not be the most practical thing ever designed but to call it junk is very shortsighted. I have over 2,500 rounds through mine and have only had problems when using underpowered .44 mag rounds, never had a problem with .50AE ever cycling. Mine is quite fond of the Mag-Tech 240 gr SJSP. As far as accuracy it is amongst the most accurate pistols I have shot. With both barrels I can shoot a 2-3 inch pattern at 25 yards with iron sights. I even won a very small (admittedly only 8 people) local range tournament; the guy I beat in the final match was using a Kimber Pro Tactical II 1911. I used my .44 Desert Eagle.

Thats my take on Desert Eagles. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another and am even in the mark for one in .357 mag. I would post some pics but I have an amazing inability to get the post thing working...

Page generated in 0.02822 seconds with 8 queries