View Single Post
Old August 29, 2009, 06:20 PM   #35
MLeake

It came in yesterday...

... but I had to wait until today to pick it up. Unfortunately, light is a bit dim for good pictures right now. I'll try to get some tomorrow.

It's a beauty, though. They put Ahrend's round butt finger-groove woods on it. Cor-Bon and S&W have given me a better revolver than the one that was destroyed.

It shoots pretty well, too. Recoil with 180gr Remington Magnum and 255gr Keith Buffalo Bore loads was manageable; the flash was more noticeable than the recoil. (Vision momentarily blanked out after each shot; the thing puts out some flames.) After figuring out the sight picture, it was no trouble to keep rounds in the center of the forehead of my Zombie target.

Note: I would definitely prefer one of my .45 or 9mm semi-autos for HD / SD vs humans; my follow-up shot capability with the Mountain Gun leaves a lot to be desired. But for putting one or two hard shots into a 4-legged aggressor, this revolver is just fine by me.

I do think that if I were going to shoot magnum loads as a routine thing, I'd either change the grips or start using a glove. I like the Ahrend's grips a lot, and will leave them on, but between the recoil and the exposed backstrap, I noticed after shooting a box of 180's and 5 rounds of BB that I'd torn the skin off a whitewater paddling callus on my right thumb. Minimal blood, but the new skin underneath was a bit sensitive, so I called it a day at that point.

Once I acquire some reloading equipment and some skill in its use, I plan to take my .44 magnum brass and make some hot .44 special loads. I'll use the Keith loads in the woods, and the hot specials for range and HD.

I am extremely impressed with Cor-Bon's customer service and S&W's ingenuity in the handling of this situation. They did far more than I could have reasonably expected, and quite frankly they did a lot more than I had asked them to do.

Page generated in 0.03362 seconds with 8 queries