View Single Post
Old August 23, 2012, 11:55 PM   #1
Verk

Pistol for a One-Handed Shooter?

Hey, all. I recently found myself in a situation where due to an injury in my left arm, I'm left with no other choice but the eventual amputation of the limb by years end. Prior to this turn of events, I can't tell you how much I was looking forward to becoming old enough to purchase my own handgun. I have spent a decent amount of time firing revolvers in the past with my Dad, and ever since those days shooting has always had a certain allure to me. However shortly before turning 21 I was given the news I would soon be losing all use of my arm, and now 1 year later it seems I'm about to reach the point of no return.

That being said, I really wanted to get some opinions from the online shooting community as to which type of handgun would be the best choice for someone in my situation to purchase as a handgun not only for a beginner, but a somewhat limited shooter.

I can tell you right now, my overwhelming preference is for a semi-automatic pistol, and honestly what I'm most looking for / hoping to find is some people who think, or better yet, *know* that it is entirely reasonable for a one-armed shooter to manage a Semi-Auto pistol on their own. However if I'm completely wrong in that hope, I'd like some advice as to perhaps what I should be looking for.

I recently visited a local gun-shop to ask if a one-armed man could properly operate a Semi-auto pistol, as I have seen and heard online that the military and police have drills training their personnel to load, chamber rounds, and clear any jams one-handed, but it's my understanding these techniques are all more SHTF tactics, rather than ways to adapt to 1 handed pistol use.

In fact, when I asked the salesman, he laughed in my face at the question, and proceeded to tell me he's never heard of single handed pistol use, and went so far as to walk away mid conversation, refusing to even let me hold and experiment with a pistol just to see for myself how manageable it may be.

Admittedly that whole experience left me feeling rather defeated, and wondering if perhaps wanting to purchase a semi-auto pistol as a one-handed shooter is a foolish endeavor. However, before completely giving in and buying a revolver, I hoped I might be able to get some second opinions from the internet. I figure at the very least on a forum it's not as shocking to get rude responses as it was to have such a response to my inquiries in person..

Anyway, I really am grateful for any input, whether it's what I hope to hear or not, as long as it's an honest opinion I'm more than happy to take it into consideration. Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to respond.

Last edited by Verk; August 26, 2012 at 05:58 AM.

Page generated in 0.02626 seconds with 8 queries