View Single Post
Old November 16, 2008, 05:42 PM   #41
OldMarksman
Staff

From KLRANGEL: I
Quote:
just think its unfair to say he did the wrong thing
Agree. None of us know all of the facts.

Quote:
There is no reason to carry a weapon for self defense if you are so worried about legal ramifications...
Can't agree. One carries the weapon in case it becomes necessary to use it to protect against death or serious bodily harm. But he had better not go outside with it without knowing when he can use it and when he cannot without becoming a felon.

Quote:
if you believe your life is in danger, pull...
That's just about it, realizing that your belief must be reasonable, and in the locale in question and most others you were not able to retreat, and that the facts will support your ability to successfully articulate why both conditions existed.

From NWPilgrim:
Quote:
Or, if you feel threatened enough to pull you gun in self defense, then the legal ramifications are moot.
Almost. But what you feel doesn't enter into the equation. It is your reasonable belief and the underlying facts that count. See this:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...5&postcount=41

Quote:
That is the basic choice we all make if we choose to carry. Are we willing to risk legal complications or consequences in order to protect life and limb?
That's it in a nutshell. Has been since Englishmen carried the dirk and dagger undr English Common Law.

Quote:
Personally, I would choose to protect myself and my family from grievous harm regardless of the legal shenanigans.
Imminent danger, reasonable belief, no other alternative--yep. But without those conditions, I wouldn't characterize what you will be up against as "legal shenanigans."

You might find this worth bookmarking and studying.

http://www.useofforce.us/

Do not take any of this as legal advice. And if you have any questions about whn you may or may not fire, or even draw, I suggest that consulting a qualified attorney would be a wise investment.

Last edited by OldMarksman; November 16, 2008 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Add link to another post; spelling

Page generated in 0.03884 seconds with 8 queries