View Single Post
Old November 16, 2009, 08:45 PM   #47
SWFL-Shooter

I keep reading a lot on this matter.

You see, i have a Hi-Point 9mm carbine with a bunch of upgrades and a scope. Its mostly for shooting paper, but plan on taking it hunting the very small deer here in SWFL. It is legal.

Now, don't bother with the humane issue, I've decided that is just white noise. My family has been taking PA deer (way bigger) with .22LR since the dawn of time... reliably.

It's not my gun of first choice, but my .300 WinMag is way overkill for the puny varmints that pass for deer here.

Most guys here use .308's, which is considered "the gun" of choice for dear... also overpowered, IMO.

Last time my hunting party got a dear, it was with a .308 and a soft point bullet. It still went clean through. It was a 30yd shot from a tree stand. It hit a rib and kept going through several vitals... an obvious kill shot.

Back to the 9mm... I'm no expert marksman, but even I can shoot within a 3" pattern form 100 yards with the 9mm scoped. My wife can put one bullet after another in the same hole at 20 yards.

Most shots that I have seen have been less than 50 yards in the woods. And giving the above accuracy of the gun in question, I have no doubt about hitting where I aim. Recoil is minimal and I can reacquire the target in a matter of a second.

I am confidant that the 9mm will take a dear, particularly after reading about taking hog with handgun 9mm. The longer barrel adds 200 to 400 fps out of the chute. Making a 9mm carbine perform roughly the same as a .357 magnum handgun, which many consider fine. The longer barrel (with the added ballistics advantage) and the controllability of a rifle with a scope, I feel, makes it leaps beyond simply shooting an animal with a pistol.

Page generated in 0.03273 seconds with 8 queries