View Single Post
Old August 31, 2013, 02:28 PM   #5
Jim March

I was actually hired by an Arizona tribal government to help monitor their election a couple of years back. Very, very interesting. This was the San Carlos Apaches...all observations relate to THIS group.

First, I was impressed by their police department. They are more closely tied to their community than I've ever seen elsewhere...there is no indication that they have the "occupying force" mentality seen in most US towns. I saw more communication between the people and the cops than I've ever seen in the "normal US". All of their cops are from that band, no exceptions. Their gear and professionalism seemed well up to modern standards without veering too far into the realm of "paramilitary". They did run body armor and had rifles available in their cars but let's remember that drug transportation in Arizona's back country is a total plague and has nothing to do with tribal members.

Second, the level of involvement in the tribe's internal politics has to be seen to be believed. The photos I took of the election process are the property of the tribe and I don't have permission to release them but...lemme tell ya, those guys took their local elections seriously. To a complete "holy crap!" level. Not violent but..."very spirited". Example...in most areas there's a limit of how close to the polls you can get and do political statements...100ft is pretty typical, some a bit more, some a bit less. I forget exactly what they did but it was normal enough...except the people setting up the polling place were VERY carefully measuring and marking that space. To a near-paranoid degree. I'm thinking "huh?". Well by around 8:00am it looked like a mutant cross between a giant flea market and a political convention gone haywire...each candidate had this fairly large booth/tent thing up, people were screaming on bullhorns, it was borderline pandemoneum . BUT no violence.

One of the stranger parts of the election process is that prisoners are allowed to vote. So if you're in the normal Arizona jail or prison system, you would be bussed in to the polls in jumpsuits and handcuffs/legirons and shuffle into the polling place to vote. They believed in maintaining as many social connections to the incarcerated as possible and that included elections.

So. On the issue of CCW.

Handgunlaw.us has a partial listing:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/tribal_law_ccw.pdf

Looking through the AZ tribes, you see some that follow the AZ CCW laws, some don't. Some have their own permit process. A lot say "in the car is OK" which covers travelers on the way through. I say "partial" because the San Carlos Apaches aren't on there and I see others missing as well.

Page generated in 0.03178 seconds with 8 queries