View Single Post
Old May 5, 2013, 06:46 AM   #3
MrBorland

I was in precisely your position 4 years ago. I could shoot 25 yard cloverleafs, but at some point, I realized it was a skill looking for an application. Also, it's just one facet of handgun proficiency, and I wanted to be more well-rounded. The well-rounded shooter is proficient in accuracy & speed, and knowing if, when & how to balance the 2, so I started shooting competitively (IDPA & USPSA), and have done very well, due in part, to my earlier focus on the fundamentals.

I still use a .22 in training as an "understudy" to my centerfire gun. While the recoil impulse is different, there's a lot more to shooting well than quickie rapid fire. Here are a few things you could do:

1. Index. Your natural point of aim. If you're not able to draw from a holster, start at the "ready" position. Quickly bring the gun to aim and get an aimed shot off as quickly as you can verify your sight picture. Only good hits count.

2. Transitions. Shoot a target (1 round), then transition to a 2nd target with a second round. Combine this with #1 for a little extra challenge. Only good hits count.

3. Movement. If you're able to move where you shoot, there are a number of movement drills. Do the above while moving. Do #2 with each target around the end of a long barricade, but start at the middle of the barricade. Did I mention only good hits count?

4. Steel. Nothing's more fun than rimfire & steel. If you've got access to a rack or dueling tree, all the better. My range has a plate rack, as well a free-standing plates which can be moved. I could spend the entire day with my .22 doing the above on steel, and it'd be a productive day. Heck, I could burn a lot of ammo with just 2 moveable plates. Our plate rack is set up for centerfire, so one .22 drill I do is triple-tap 2 plates. A miss means I wasn't fast and/or accurate enough, and/or my transition was bad.

5. Speaking of steel, try some rimfire steel matches. It may humble you at first, but in your situation right now, rimfire steel competition would be excellent training. Even top shooters shoot rimfire steel. And it you're not able to move or shoot steel at your current venue, by asking around at these matches, you'll likely find somewhere better to shoot. Competitive shooters network quite a lot, and there's a lot to be gained by getting in on it.

BTW, much of the "bad habit" stems from accepting poor shots. That's a shooter, not an equipment issue. Only accept good shooting no matter the gun or the drill, and make it a point to shoot just a little better each time, and you'll excel quickly.

Page generated in 0.02964 seconds with 8 queries