View Single Post
Old January 18, 2011, 05:28 PM   #1
k31

another coyote question from k31

i have benn TRYING to trap these buggers for some time know at first very unsuccessfully with no clue where to start. then i had a good idea how to go about it and still very unsuccessful. now i think im doing 80% of it right with my location distance between traps using the right equipment even using a screen over the trap using both collected dry dirt and localized dirt. this is where i am stuck how ever. i have tried to find sage brush that has a natural v in the branches that is missing (near active trails) and i have either added to or taken away from the bush to funnel the dog into the trap. i dig my hole under the base of the bush or the tip of the V and i bait it with chicken livers and set the trap about 9"-1' from the bait. then i cover the area with a scent blocker (not the bait) and apply a drop or two of coyote urine. so far my traps are empty but the last 3 days bait has been taken every time out of 3 of the four sets. why arent they hitting my trap??? i have heard that dogs wont step on stones or sticks. the first few times i wasnt pick about what went near the trap as long as it was small enough to not interfere with the traps function.is that true? is my trap to close to the bait ??
i wasnt sure if the dog was just reaching his head in and sniping the bait with his teeth. today i used chickn wings i cut them in half and tied the meat and bone to a root or branch so they have to work a little for them
what am i doing wrong or are they just hard to trap???

Page generated in 0.03113 seconds with 8 queries