View Single Post
Old November 30, 2000, 01:05 AM   #15
Glamdring

JMC: Hmm...The mysteries of rifles. I am still learning about the accuracy game. So please forgive me if my questions seem simplistic. BTW I didn't think RL 22 was an accurate powder just one that allows for fairly high velocity loads.

Do you think the limiting factor for your 7STW is the cartridge [ie cartridge design]? Or some other factor(s) involved?

One of my friends is a gunsmith and I know one rifle he built for himself would never group for him no matter what he did. I think it was chambered for 280. He finally ended up removing the barrel and making the rifle a 25-06 which shoot fine. The same smith also had a customer that had bought a Dakota that wouldn't group no matter what they did [not group like a Dakota should] and they sent it back tot he factory and the factory ended up putting a different barrel on it to make it shoot.

My Steyr Scout will shoot around .80" to 1.00" depending on the person behind the gun shooting federal premium ammmo [ballistic tips or gamekings] at 100 yards. But I have a Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55 that will shoot 1.25" at 100 yards with FMJ surplus ammo or Federal classic load.

Anyway like I said I am still learning. But my current understanding is to shoot accurately consider the following in order: 1) Shooter [technique, position, etc.] 2) Rifle, scope, screws, bedding & etc all in proper adjustment 3) Quality & precision of Bullets [ballistic tips, match grade, etc if your just shooting paper or varmints] 4) OAL of cartridge

After that then look at things like powder, primer.
Ah condition of the crown and such I would put in number 2.
Am I on the right track as far as priorities go for accuracy?

Page generated in 0.02247 seconds with 8 queries