View Single Post
Old January 13, 2013, 12:53 PM   #15
Gerry

There is really no need to measure "crimp" to some specific addition of case wall plus bullet diameter. The bullet has already been shoved into the case, so you can use that as your guide. All you need to do is make sure the end of your case is straight and not smaller (or larger) in diameter at the very mouth than it is a little further down.

My Winchester cases loaded with plated .355 bullets are .377"-.378" at the very edge of the case mouth. They are also .377" in diameter 1/8th of an inch from the case mouth. In fact they are .377" for the first .2" of the case until the thickening inside taper begins to increase the diameter. In my situation at least, crimping to .373" would indeed be squeezing the bullet.

The case mouths loaded with my home cast .358" 9mm lead measure .380". Even those chamber just fine, so why would I crimp? If you don't visually still see a bell in your case after seating, I suggest using the barrel (removed) of your gun as a check to see if they chamber properly without the crimp operation. If they do, then I wouldn't even bother with the crimp die since it can't offer any more added value to your finished round.

Page generated in 0.03796 seconds with 8 queries